Activities Assistant (residential homes)
- Location New Wycliffe Home or Kathleen Rutland Home
- Hours A morning or afternoon per week
We are looking volunteers to provide or to assistant at organised activities sessions for elderly home residents.
- To provide or help with organised activities with minimal supervision thus freeing up care staff to carry out their care work
- We are particularly looking for people with a skill/interest in: Arts and crafts, books and reading or reading out loud, music
- Ideally we would like volunteers to take the lead in these activities, organising, sourcing resources and leading the activities. It may be something you would prefer to do in pairs or as a small group. If we find several like-minded people we could form a group to do this.
Qualities and skills we are looking for:
- The ability to act appropriately in an environment that may be emotionally demanding
- To be reliable and have a genuine interest in the desire to make a difference in the lives of visually impaired people
- Good communication skills
- Patience and a warm and friendly attitude
- A genuine interest and skill in the activity you are providing
- Volunteers must be over 18 years of age.
Support provided for you:
- Visual Impairment Awareness training will be provided and take place at Vista
- Regular newsletters, updates and news from the Homes Managers and/or Volunteer Manager at Vista
- Other training as identified
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses such as mileage or public transport costs.
This volunteering opportunity is subject to a DBS check and sets out the duties of the role at the time when it was drawn up. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general climate or level of responsibility entailed.