- Location Within a 10 mile radius of your home
- Hours An hour per week, flexible day/time
To befriend an adult with sight loss, to improve their self confidence, emotional health and well being, reducing their social isolation and promote their independence.
- To visit a person with whom you have been matched, building a relationship of friendship and trust
- To give the person some company and/or enable them to get out and about or pursue a leisure interest for example
- To complete a visit sheet after each visit and to participate in regular reviews with the Befriending Officer
- To liaise, at times, with Vista staff or other agencies as appropriate
- To uphold Vistas core principles, vision, culture and values and abide by the polices and procedures as per Vista's volunteer handbook.
Qualities and skills we are looking for:
- To be reliable and have a genuine interest in the desire to make a difference in the lives of people with sight loss
- Good communication skills
- Patience and a warm and friendly attitude
Support provided for you:
- You will be required to attend the Befriending Induction two day programme and participate in further training and/or networking events which may be offered. The induction includes safeguarding vulnerable adults, visual impairment awareness training and specific information for Befrienders.
- Ongoing support will be given by the Befriending Officer either in person or via the telephone. Regular reviews will take place and an opportunity given for peer support through networking events with other Befrienders.
- Regular newsletters, updates and news from the Befriending Service at Vista
- Other training as identified
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses such as mileage or public transport costs.
This volunteering opportunity is subject to a DBS check and sets out the duties of the role at the time when it was drawn up. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general climate or level of responsibility entailed.