- Location New Wycliffe Home, Rushey Mead
- Hours Flexible shifts/days
Our New Wycliffe Home, in Rushy Mead, is home to 40 elderly people with sight loss, many have other health conditions too, such as dementia. We are a special centre of excellence for the care of such people. We were recently awarded ‘Care Home of the Year’ by Leicester Mercury. Our residents have increasingly complex needs and to fulfil these needs we would like to recruit volunteers to help us with mealtimes.
- Breakfast: 8.30am - 10.30am
- Lunchtime: 12pm - 2pm
- Teatime: 4.30pm - 6.30pm
Volunteers can commit themselves to as few or as many days/mealtimes as they wish.
- To support individuals with their meals and drinks, responding to the needs and wishes of each person.
- To assist with serving drinks and food as per instruction from trained staff.
- To pass on any concerns regarding an individual’s diet.
- To support with clearing the tables in the dining room.
- Support each individual to make their own choice.
- To respect the confidential nature of personal information.
Qualities and skills we are looking for:
- The ability to act appropriately in an environment that may be emotionally demanding.
- To be reliable and have a genuine interest in the desire to make a difference in the lives of visually impaired people.
- Good communication skills.
- Patience and a warm and friendly attitude.
- Flexibility as to availability.
- Visual Impairment Awareness training will be provided and take place at Vista.
- Regular newsletters, updates and news from the Volunteer Coordinator at Vista.
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses such as mileage or public transport costs.
This volunteering opportunity is subject to a DBS check and two references.