Our professionally qualified rehabilitation officers can offer you an assessment and help you adjust to losing your sight.
Following an assessment of need, they will teach
you new skills or enhance old ones to enable you to stay independent at home or
in the community. They can also offer advice and guidance on equipment and
assistive technology that may be of benefit to you.
This could involve simple changes, such as lighting
or magnification, advice on kitchen safety, such as pouring, chopping and
peeling and using the cooker, or techniques to help with reading / writing or
using the telephone. They can also provide training to help you travel
independently and work with you to learn new routes, use public transport and use canes if required.
Our assessment and rehabilitation team will:
- Visit you to chat about the problems you are experiencing due to your sight loss
- Let you know about the support and other services available from Vista
- Teach you life skills for being independent at home, such as preparing food / cooking, making drinks safely
- Teach you how to enhance your skills, such as preparing food / cooking and also travelling independently through mobility training and the use of canes including the use of public transport if required
- Provide communication advice for large print, Braille, magnification and audio formats to ensure you can access your own mail and personal information
- Conduct a home assessment for magnifiers to aid with reading
- Conduct an assessment if required for electronic magnifers
- Demonstrate "over shields" to cut out glare
- Assess your lighting needs within the house and also for directorial lighting for closer viewing